The YWCA Hamilton BINGO Volunteer, while providing assistance to the Philanthropy & Communications team, will attend scheduled events at Princess Bingo Hall in Hamilton, ON. Bingo Volunteers sell bingo cards to attendees and funds are raised to support the important programming and services offered at YWCA Hamilton. You will act as a representative of YWCA Hamilton and follow the guidelines set by Princess Bingo in order to maintain a safe Covid-19 friendly experience for all players, volunteers and staff. There is a small non-negotiable financial honorarium available for volunteers after each game to cover expenses. Volunteers must 18+ years or older to enter Princess Bingo Hall. Please ensure you consider the position requirements of the role before applying for this opportunity.
POSITION TITLE: Bingo
DEPARTMENT: Philanthropy & Communications
TERM OF POSITION: One (1) year commitment
TIME COMMITMENT: 1-2 shifts/month; Sundays from 11:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m., 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
AREAS OF INTEREST: Community, Fundraising, Gambling
ACCESSIBILITY: Fully accessible workplace
IDEAL FOR: Individuals
HEALTH/VACCINATIONS: COVID-19 Vaccination is required; either fully, or partially vaccinated with 30-day commitment to receive second dose. Volunteers will be required to show proof of vaccination status. Substantiated medical and religious reasons to forego vaccination will need to be communicated and may impact volunteer position start date.
TRAVEL: Use of personal vehicle required to travel to Princess Bingo (300 Fennell Ave E), travel accommodations are available
PHYSICAL TASKS/ENVIRONMENT: Standing for long periods, this is a non-smoking facility however passive exposure to smoking/vaping may exist
MEMBERSHIP: This position requires you to hold bona-fide member status at YWCA Hamilton. Annual memberships of $25.00+tax can be made at YWCA Hamilton. Volunteers will be required to show proof of YWCA Hamilton membership.
The successful volunteer will be committed to working from an anti-oppression, feminist perspective. We encourage individuals from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, Two Spirit, LGBTQIA+, First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, BIPOC, and people living with disabilities to apply.
Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit www.ywcahamilton.org for more information
- Practice government safety measures and YWCA Hamilton pandemic training at Princess Bingo Hall
- Greet players and act as a representative of YWCA Hamilton at all times
- Sell bingo cards to players, giving accurate change when required
- Count money and bingo cards at the end of each event
- Keep playing area clean, tidying up after players who leave their table
- Assist with other tasks as they arise, taking direction from Princess Bingo staff
- Must not play bingo while volunteering
- Reliable, mature, non-judgmental, kind, caring, and able to listen
- Basic mathematical skills; cash handling skills, an asset
- Provide copy of YWCA Hamilton membership valid for current year
- Provide recent Police Check within six (6) months
- Provide copy of your Covid-19 vaccination(s)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- A long term commitment of one (1) year is required for this role. Bingo events are currently only held on Sundays due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Self-scheduling 1-2 events per month is encouraged, however many volunteers only volunteer about 6 times per year
- Last-minute requests are a possibility based on your availability to cover those who are unwell
- Training required: Self-directed online learning – YWCA Hamilton Orientation & Pandemic Training – 2 hours, Virtual role-specific training over Zoom – 1 hour