Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Responsible for providing business skills training, personalized business advice and guidance, mentoring, practical business resources and innovative ways to support women entrepreneurs to develop the skills, mindset, financing and networks they need to realize their business potential and close gaps that are barriers to success. Assists women who want to establish and grow their businesses in Hamilton, Halton, Burlington, Guelph, Niagara, Kitchener-Waterloo and Cambridge.
- Consults with clients/participants to help entrepreneurs prepare their business plans, identify rules and regulations that could impact their business, understand government and private sectors programs that apply to their business, provide support to access grants and other lending resources and advise clients to start their own small business;
- Performs intakes and assessments with potential entrepreneurs;
- Works with Manager to develop & update curriculum to respond to new research, best practices, trends and advancements in business and the entrepreneurship sector;
- Provides coaching and advice on all activities related to business start-up and expansion;
- Documents issues, challenges and any special cases, making recommendations to Manager;
- Facilitates and arranges subject matter experts (SMEs) for training of clients/participants and networking;
- Coordinates webinars and online spaces for teaching and networking with participants
- Engages with program partners and community stakeholders (e.g. accountants, lawyers, Insurance Bureau of Canada, financial institutions, Innovation programs);
- Supports YWCA Hamilton spaces and online platforms for entrepreneurs to launch or expand their business (e.g. e-commerce site, Business Out of the Box);
- Performs administrative functions including documentation, filing, data entry;
- Outreach to service providers, banks and other funding organizations to support entrepreneurs to secure funding to start their own business;
- Promotes and markets the Entrepreneurial Program; working with Manager, Women’s Enterprise Centre and Development department;
- Reviews and evaluates results and recommendations from participants and stakeholders; shares program outcomes with Manager and stakeholders;
- Nurtures and maintains relationships with community stakeholders and leverages existing external programs to expand opportunities for participants to develop their businesses;
- Connects and assists in building strong and positive relationships with participants in a cohesive and respectful environment;
- Maintains accurate records/statistics and evaluation information related to the activities undertaken/outcomes achieved; reporting results to Manager;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and values;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards; and focuses on providing relevant information and supports for women entrepreneurs
- Works 37.50 hours work week;
- Occasional evenings and weekends may be required.
- Completion of 2 years’ college or equivalent;
- Business start-up and business management skills are required;
- Bilingual English/French is an asset;
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills including facilitation;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective and apply an intersectional, gender lens to entrepreneurship;
- Must have excellent coaching, counselling and case management skills;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Proficient in MS office software programs;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must be able to navigate webinar software to implement online training and provide e-commerce / website support;
- Ability to work occasional evening and weekends;
- Must have access to a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
- October 30, 2019
- November 10, 2019
- November 18, 2019
- 37.5 hours per week
Employment and Training Services
Manager, Women’s Enterprise Centre
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.