Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Ensures the efficient daily operation and activity in before and after school programs, camps and recreation programs and activities, working collaboratively with the Recreational Specialist. Plans and implements quality programs for children 4 to 12 years, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport and Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Creates a stimulating and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow, ensuring the safety of children enrolled in the before and after school program, camps, and recreation programs and activities through direct supervision, and attendance protocols;
- Develops and facilitates after programs for students 4 to 12 years of age in their school according to the YWCA philosophy, working closely with the Recreational Specialist;
- Participates in all activities with the children;
- Updates, develops and ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, school personnel, outside agencies, co-workers and support staff, an on an ongoing basis;
- Supports staff and classrooms as needed (e.g. staff breaks, programming time, etc.);
- Ensures classroom environment is kept clean and neat, including all activity and program areas, and common spaces, including toy washing and sanitizing;
- Ensures that written records are accurately documented and maintained including attendance records, symptoms of ill health, daily classroom logs, etc.;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act, Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Sport guidelines and YWCA Policies;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
- Completion of 2 years’ college in child and youth, social work, recreation and leisure, or recreational therapist programs or enrolled in college program, or equivalent;
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience working with children;
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Health Child Development (PHCD) training is an asset;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to work;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping;
- Food Handlers Certificate an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Children's Program Instructor
- January 02, 2020
- 0-14 hrs/wk
Children and Youth Services
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.