Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
This employee will work within a 24-hour residential care facility for 15 adult women with developmental disabilities. They will provide delivery of direct support services to all residents within the home and ensure the physical and emotional well-being and safety/security of all individuals within the residence in alignment with YWCA Hamilton’s Mission and Vision Statements.
- In cooperation with program supervisor and team, will perform all duties and responsibilities in a productive, professional and cooperative manner which will contribute to the overall goals of the department and in keeping with general policies and guidelines of YWCA Hamilton;
- Ensure the physical and emotional well-being of individuals we support is maintained;
- Follow and adhere to Schedule 20 City of Hamilton By-Laws, QAM compliance and Legislation 299/10 standards;
- This employee will provide delivery of direct support services to individuals we support within their residential home;
- Support services all areas of daily living within our service plan domains including but not limited to: bathing/hygiene/toileting routines, medication administration/dispensing, meal preparation, chorelists/housekeeping, laundry, nightly safety inspections, and in-house recreation opportunities;
- Provide supervision and ensure safety of residents during their shift;
- Support services offered will maintain or increase individual’s independent living skills and personal growth.
- Minimum Education – PSW Certificate or High School Secondary Diploma(OSSGD) or equivalent;
- Previous work experience in a residential care facility an asset;
- Emergency First Aid/CPR Certification;
- Must be able to work designated schedule as assigned;
- Good communication skills both verbal & written;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Attend and participate in mandatory training such as but not limited to WHMIS, Non Violent Crisis Intervention Training (NVCI);
- Must be willing to provide a pre- employment medical examination through YWCA Hamilton corporate medical practitioner prior to first shift of work (including two-step TB Screening Test);
- Working from a feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist perspective;
- French Language Skills an Asset;
- Excellent communication skills both verbal & written;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check or willingness to obtain at own cost.
Please Note: The physical demands of the role may include, but are not limited to lifting (up to 25 kg), bending, twisting, reaching, sitting or standing for extended periods, walking, pushing, pulling, and moving constantly throughout the shift.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Developmental Services Care Staff
- January 02, 2020
- Relief/On-Call, 0-14 hours per week
- No guaranteed hours and subject to changes
$15.00 per hour
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.