Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Ensures the efficient daily operation and activity in an early learning and licensed child care centre, working collaboratively with the Supervisor, Children’s Programs. Implements quality programs for children 18 months to 5 years based on the emergent curriculum, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Creates a stimulating and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow, ensuring the safety of children enrolled in the program through direct supervision, and attendance protocols;
- Plans and implements innovative weekly programs that are age appropriate and meet individual and group needs, according to YWCA philosophy;
- Participates and engages in all activities with the children;
- Updates, develops and ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, outside agencies, co-workers and support staff, an on an ongoing basis;
- Supports staff and classrooms as needed (e.g. staff breaks, programming time, etc.);
- Administers authorized medications and creams in accordance with policy;
- Ensures classroom environment is kept clean and neat, including all activity and program areas, and common spaces, including toy washing and sanitizing;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act and YWCA Policies;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Participates in mandatory organizational and departmental trainings and meetings;
- Must be able to supervise large groups of children during onsite and offsite excursions such as field trips and swimming.
- Completion of 2 years’ college in Early Childhood Education or equivalent;
- Registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators (RECE) is ideal; maintains registration as required by the YWCA and provincial standard;
- Experience in a licensed child care setting is an asset;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to work;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Must have skills in using MS Office programs including Excel and Word.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Early Childhood Assistant
- November 08, 2019
- November 19, 2019
- November 25, 2019 – May 22, 2021 (Contract)
- 37.5 hours per week
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.