Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides strategic financial management and leadership to the organization and its finance department including providing financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders. With the Director, leads the annual budgeting and auditing processes, and responsible for variance reporting and tracking.
- Work with the Finance team to build and maintain a strong internal controls environment that will deliver timely and accurate financial information across the organization;
- Assists Director with preparation of long-term financial plan and budget development, working in partnership with all department leaders;
- Lead monthly/quarterly/annual reporting procedures, including; but not limited to: preparation of internal, board and funder reporting requirements;
- Ensure that General Accounting, Audit (internal and external), and other functions are effective, efficient, and in accordance with all relevant legislation and policies;
- Liaise with external auditors and oversees annual audits of YWCA Hamilton expenditures, assets and liabilities, making sure the recorded figures are verifiable and accurate;
- Collaborates with departmental leaders to support the annual strategy and operating plans;
- Assist in strategically planning the organization direction and help develop plans to achieve business objectives;
- Ability to make decisions and perform effectively under stressful conditions such as directional changes, tight deadlines, limited resources;
- Perform a variety of advanced financial analyses to determine current and forecasted financial health of the organization;
- Work with the Director to increase the capacity of the finance department;
- Knowledge of applicable legislation, bylaws, and legal proceedings;
- Oversees reconciliations, reporting, and remittances for statutory compliance, government reporting, funder reports and grant claims;
- Oversee the development, evaluation, and implementation of departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are current, in alignment with corporate policies, and best practices are incorporated;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive financial information, employee information and payroll records;
- Identifies and evaluates risks associated with finance and takes appropriate action to control risks;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours as a member of the YWCA leadership team;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health, safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business, Accounting or related field;
- Recognized professional accounting designation (CPA) or equivalent;
- Minimum 3 to 5 years’ supervisory experience in finance, accounting;
- Must have in-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP);
- Must have strong computer literacy, including: advanced working skills of MS Word, Excel and Outlook;
- Experience or familiarity with Accounting software and Financial reporting;
- Prior experience in a unionized environment considered an asset;
- Proven leadership, problem solving and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative;
- Proven analytical skills and problem solving abilities;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience developing and executing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and excellence;
- Ability to lead with a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective for day to day work and strategic planning;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends with some travel as required;
- Ability to work from a home office setting;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
- October 2, 2020
- October 20, 2020
- November 30, 2020
- 37.5 hours per week
Director of Finance
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.