YWCA Good Beginnings is a volunteer assistance program available for mothers in Hamilton and the surrounding area with infants younger than six months of age. The program provides free in-home support for mothers to help them cope with the challenges of having a new baby and/or for women who are at risk of postpartum depression. The program involves weekly in-home visits from a trained volunteer
POSITION TITLE: Good Beginnings Volunteer
TYPE: Hybrid, both virtual and in-person opportunities exist
DEPARTMENT: Health & Wellness
TERM OF POSITION: Minimum of Six (6) month commitment
TIME COMMITMENT: 2 to 3 hours per week, plus travel time for in-home visit
AREAS OF INTEREST: New Mother, Health & Wellness, Baby, Care Giving
IDEAL FOR: Female
GENDER/AGE: This opportunity is open to individuals who are female-identifying and those who are over the age of 18 years old.
REPORTS TO: Good Beginnings Program Coordinator any changes or cancellations of the weekly visits
HEALTH/VACCINATIONS: COVID-19 Vaccination proof (fully vaccinated) is required. Volunteers will be required to show proof of vaccination status at the allocated restaurant. Substantiated medical and religious reasons to forego vaccination will need to be communicated and may impact volunteer position start date.
PHYSICAL TASKS/ENVIRONMENT: Lifting 30+lbs independently, pick up and drop off to allocated location, repetitive lifting/pulling, driving ~50km on the event day, standing for long periods of time
The successful candidate will be committed to working from an anti-oppression, feminist perspective. We encourage individuals from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, Two Spirit, LGBTQIA+, First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, Indigenous, Black and racialized people and people living with disabilities to apply.
Please visit https://www.ywcahamilton.org/volunteer-with-us/ for more information.
- Completes weekly home visits to a client’s home (2-3 hours once a week, plus travel time)
- Accompanies the mother, baby, and other children in the community
- Provides the mother with information on community resources and support systems available to her and her baby, and encourage their use
- Provides support to mothers as per the program guidelines
- Ensures healthy boundaries and confidentiality are maintained as outlined in the program guidelines
- Submits monthly reports and surveys to the Program Coordinator
- Participates in volunteer support meetings and workshops
- Performs duties safely and reports any hazards
- Adheres to all policies as outlined in the YWCA Volunteer Training and Good Beginning’s Volunteer Training
- Supports YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and values
- Works from a feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist perspective · Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check (valid within 1 month)
- Woman-identifying and over the age of 18 years old
- Covid-19, MMR, TB, and Tetanus records
- Experience working with newborns and/or children is an asset
- Ability to provide emotional and practical support to the mother, baby and other children under her care
- Ability to travel to a client’s home and out in the community with the mother, the baby, and other children
- Willing to accept supervision, take direction and work independently
- Respectful of confidentiality and privacy
- Reliable, mature, non-judgmental, kind, caring, and able to listen
- A long-term commitment of six (6) months is required for this role, with an option to renew after this period.
- 1 to 4 visits per month for 2 to 3 hours each, schedule based on collective availability
- Last-minute requests and in-person events are a possibility based on your availability
- Training required: Self-directed online learning – YWCA Hamilton Orientation & Pandemic Training – 2 hours, Virtual YWCA Volunteer Training and Good Beginnings Volunteer Training – 6 hours