Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Delivers high quality health and wellness programs that reflect the needs of the YWCA Hamilton members, participants and community, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards.
- Leads a variety of group fitness classes;
- Designs and delivers personal training, specialized classes and fitness services for members;
- Provides fitness consultations and lifestyle counselling to members;
- Provides orientations, fitness consultations and instructs members on the safe and effective use of fitness center equipment;
- Provides facility tours, encourages fitness membership sales and markets the program externally;
- Ensures all members/clients are treated in a friendly and professional manner;
- Completes all general equipment related tasks including cleaning, maintenance and general equipment inspections;
- Mains accurate records, statistics and produces reports upon request;
- Maintains appropriate record-keeping in accordance with YWCA Hamilton’s policies and procedures, and confidentiality/privacy policies;
- Identifies and evaluates risks associated with members/clients and takes appropriate action to control the risks;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
- High School diploma – 18 years or older;
- Completion of 2 years’ college in health and wellness, kinesiology, or recreation and fitness, or equivalent is an asset;
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a group fitness leader with ability to teach a variety of classes (e.g. Zumba, Aerobics, Cycle, Kickboxing, Heartbeat, Bones Plus, Aqua Fitness, Step, Strength Training);
- Must have Ontario Fitness Council (OFC) Group Fitness Leadership Certification or willing to achieve;
- Must have Personal Trainers Network (CPTN) certification or equivalent; maintains current qualifications;
- Specialized Group Fitness Certification (e.g. Pilates, Zumba, Yoga) is an asset;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work a schedule which includes days, early mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Emergency First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Health & Wellness Trainer
- January 02, 2020
- 0-14 hrs/wk
Health and Wellness
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.