A part of the JOIN Immigration and Settlement Program, the YWCA Hamilton New Mothers’ Support Services is looking for individuals to apply to provide volunteer assistance for newcomer mothers in the Hamilton and surrounding area. The New Mothers’ Support volunteer will provide support to new mothers with infants younger than twelve months of age. The JOIN New Mothers’ Support Services provides free in-home support for mothers to help them cope with the challenges of having a new baby and/or for women who are at risk of postpartum depression. The program involves weekly in-home visits from a trained volunteer.
POSITION TITLE: JOIN Mother’s Support Services Volunteer
TYPE: Hybrid, both virtual and in-person opportunities exist
DEPARTMENT: Health & Wellness
TERM OF POSITION: Minimum of Six (6) month commitment
TIME COMMITMENT: Between 1 to 4 visits Monthly; each visit is 2 to 3 hours
AREAS OF INTEREST: Newcomer, Immigrant, New Mother, Wellness, Baby, Care Giving
ACCESSIBILITY: Fully accessible workplace, travel may be required
IDEAL FOR: Individuals
GENDER/AGE: This opportunity is open to individuals who are female identifying and those who are over the age of 18 years old.
All applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Substantiated medical and religious reasons to forego vaccination will need to be communicated and may impact the volunteer position start date.
Additional vaccinations and health records are required:
1. Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) record of immunization
2. Tuberculosis Test, valid within six (6) months of start date
3. Tetanus Vaccination, within ten (10) years of start date
The successful candidate will be committed to working from an anti-oppression, feminist perspective. We encourage individuals from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, 2SLGBTQIA+, First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, BIPOC, and people living with disabilities to apply.
Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process please contact Anjum Chauhan, Community Engagement & Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Please visit www.ywcahamilton.org for more information.
- Completes weekly home visits (2-3 hours once a week, plus travel time)
- Accompanies the mother, baby and other children in the community
- Provides the mother with information on community resources and support systems available to her and her baby, and encourage their use
- Provides support to mothers as per the program guidelines
- Ensures healthy boundaries and confidentiality are maintained as outlined in the program guidelines
- Reports to the Community Coordinator any changes or cancellations of the weekly visits
- Submits monthly reports and surveys to the Community Coordinator
- Participates in volunteer support meetings and workshops
- Performs duties safely and reports any hazards
- Adheres to all policies as outlined in the YWCA Volunteer Training and 6-hour Good Beginning’s/New Mothers’ Support Services Volunteer Training
- Woman-identifying and over the age of 18 years old
- Covid-19, MMR, TB and Tetanus records · Vulnerable Sector Police Check (valid within 1 month)
- Experience working with newborns and/or children
- Ability to provide emotional and practical support to the mother, baby and other children under her care
- Ability to travel to a client’s home and out in the community with the mother, the baby and other children
- Respectful of confidentiality and privacy
- Reliable, mature, non-judgmental, kind, caring and able to listen
- Willing to accept supervision, take direction and work independently
- A long term commitment of six (6) months is required for this role, with option to renew after this period.
- 1 to 4 visits per month for 2 to 3 hours each, schedule based on collective availability
- Last-minute requests and in-person events are a possibility based on your availability
- Training required: Self-directed online learning – YWCA Hamilton Orientation & Pandemic Training – 2 hours, Virtual YWCA Volunteer Training and Good Beginning’s/New Mothers’ Support Services Volunteer Training – 6 hours