Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides support and assistance in the kitchen for internal and external YWCA food services for childcare, transitional housing residents, the YWCA café and social enterprise catering.
- Provides front of house customer service;
- Prepares food for display cases in café;
- Able to promote and cross sell menu items;
- Assists with food preparation and cooking activities in the YWCA Café and YWCA catering;
- Prepares menu items according to recipes created by Head Chef/Sous Chef;
- Assists with serving meals;
- Operates large and small kitchen appliances, including maintenance;
- Assists Head Chef/Sous Chef with receiving, inventory, and stocking shelves;
- Performs general housekeeping duties such as washing dishes, cleaning and sanitizing, emptying garbage bins;
- Performs catering duties for special events;
- Contributes to building and supporting the kitchen/café team by helping where needed, using professional and respectful language, attending team meetings as required;
- Ensures compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act;
- Works safely and reports all workplace hazards and follows all YWCA Hamilton Health and Safety policies and procedures;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
- Experience in food service, retail or hospitality is an asset;
- Cash handling experience and Smart Serve are assets;
- Must have Safe Food Handling certificate or willing to obtain at own time and cost;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to day to day work;
- Ability to work a schedule with various shifts;
- Valid Class G Driver’s License an asset;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Kitchen/Cafe Staff (Full Time)
- April 15, 2021
- April 22, 2021
- 37.5 hours per week
- Hamilton, ON
- At the Table
- Head Chef
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.