Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Delivers high quality swimming instruction and lifeguard services that reflect the needs of the YWCA Hamilton members, participants and community, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards.
- Supervises and instructs aquatics program participants and responds to emergency situations;
- Provides a fun and safe aquatic environment for members;
- Prepares lesson plans for all levels and makes plans available during lesson times;
- Ensures participants meet the minimum requirements of the Aquatic Admission Standards during all lessons and swims;
- Follows maintenance checklists as assigned and records accomplished tasks including but not limited to periodically conducting walking inspections of change rooms and public areas;
- Performs the required pool maintenance duties as scheduled, including but not limited to: chemical tests and visual checks of the pool area;
- Completes general cleaning tasks as assigned;
- Addresses all disciplinary, safety issues and complaints involving the public and reports to the immediate supervisor;
- Is knowledgeable and enforces all YWCA Hamilton’s and Aquatic department policies and other relevant legislations, including but not limited to Ministry of Health regulations, Technical Standards & Safety Authority (TSSA) standards, health and safety, shift change procedures, test sheet submission, and Biohazard clean up;
- Works safely, reports all workplace hazards and follow all YWCA Hamilton Health and Safety policies and procedures;
- Be familiar and adhere to the Occupational Health & Safety Act, Workplace Safety Insurance Board Act (WSIB), Human Rights and Employment Standards Act;
- Attend and participate in mandatory training such as but not limited to WHMIS, Health and Safety Training and Anti-Racism Anti Oppression Training (ARAO);
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
- Maintains current aquatic (NLS, Red Cross WSI, LSSC Swim & Instructors) and Standard First Aid with CPR C qualifications;
- Aqua Fitness Leader Certification is an asset;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to work a schedule which includes days, early mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages are an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
- January 02, 2020
- 0-14 hrs/wk
Health and Wellness
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.