Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Accountable for the day to day operations management, monitoring and control of YWCA Hamilton facilities, with a focus on building operations, property and preventative maintenance, and contractor management.
- Plans, organizes, maintains and manages the operations and reliability of YWCA facilities (14 facilities (1 multi-use site -McNabb Street), 10 group homes, Phoenix Place, 2 independent living facilities and 11 childcare sites within schools) and general infrastructure systems;
- Manages and provides guidance to staff and/or vendors and contractors in day to day repair, maintenance and cleaning of all YWCA facilities and sites;
- Provides facilities and operational input to the Director, Building Services on major/minor capital projects, remodel-improvement projects;
- Administers, plans and prioritizes work orders and provides efficient and effective communications to clients and vendors/contractors on required repairs and preventative maintenance;
- Establishes and implements work programs for startup/shutdowns and preventative maintenance of facility areas;
- Responsible for equipment maintenance, including repair of all major equipment and systems (e.g. HVAC, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, security systems);
- Establishes and monitors preventive maintenance processes and programs and facility inspection processes for on-going review of maintenance work by agencies having jurisdiction;
- Develops policies and procedures, ensures compliance and escalates as required;
- Verifies equipment, materials and projects conform to applicable standards, procedures and by-laws;
- Ensures all site management and operations practices follow YWCA, client and Ministry standards (e.g. building code, fire code, public health requirements and regulations), as required;
- Performs monthly reporting, forecasting and asset management on all sites;
- Develops and implements a portfolio/project management plan, and delivers management reports as required;
- Updates and maintains accurate records and official documentation as per the record retention plan;
- Maintains and updates standard operating procedures (SOPs) and emergency response documentation as required;
- Manages and monitors customer service quality and implements improvements where needed;
- Manages, negotiates, monitors, documents and evaluates external vendors’ and contractors’ services to ensure terms of agreements are met, quality services are delivered and the YWCA receives good value;
- Enforces vendor and contractor accountability and contract compliance, tracks all contractor calls and routine service invoices and ensure all invoices are received and processed in a timely manner;
- Develops, maintains and controls cleaning, maintenance and refurbishment expenditures;
- Develops and manages annual operating budget, develops strategies where variances identified;
- Directly manages 5 employees including recruiting, training and evaluating performance, indirectly manages vendors and contractors;
- Works with Director to build a strong Building Services team, defining annual goals and service standards;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with employee and contract information;
- Trouble-shoots and responds to after-hours issues as needed regarding the operational aspects of the facilities such as HVAC issues, fire alarm malfunctions, electrical outages, water leaks, etc.;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours as a member of the management team;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health, safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
Perform other duties as required.
- Works a standard 37.50-hour work week;
- Regular visits and inspections of facilities and construction sites;
- Regular on-call emergency coverage required (e.g. HVAC issues, floods).
- Completion of 2 years’ college in building services or related building construction field or equivalent;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in skilled trades and/or building maintenance, with 3 years’ supervisory experience with demonstrated leadership skills in facilities management for a broad portfolio of properties (residential, commercial, recreational, corporate, aquatics, institutional);
- Knowledge in building services, building maintenance and contractor management;
- Must be able to lead and work from a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Ability to travel to and inspect all YWCA Hamilton facilities and work sites, and work a schedule that includes regular on-call emergency coverage;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Manager, Building Operations
- June 10, 2020
- June 26, 2020
- July 20, 2020
- 37.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- Building Services
- Director, Building Services
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.