Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Accountable for the management and provision of high-quality licensed child care centers, before and after school programs, camps and recreation programs and activities, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act and Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport After School Program Guidelines. Manages and monitors all programs related to the YWCA Hamilton Child Care department including implementation of the work plans, service delivery, program reporting, budget allocation and management of staff.
- Directly manages and coaches 7 supervisors, indirectly manages 70 employees including recruiting, training, monitoring and evaluating performance;
- Provides staff with guidance and advice on child and youth issues; handles client conflicts and escalations;
- Demonstrates and models strong leadership behaviours as a member of the management team;
- Oversees and manages the successful delivery of child care programs and projects, including program planning, quality development, operations and evaluation;
- Regular visits and inspections of child care sites;
- Updates, develops and ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, outside agencies, co-workers and support staff on an ongoing basis;
- Resolves and manages crises and/or emergency situations; escalates to Director as required;
- Manages special events and activities at YWCA sites and within the community;
- Assists Director with budget development; manages and monitors budget;
- Investigates and cultivates opportunities for additional funding opportunities and funding sources (e.g. grants);
- Communicates, consults, educates and influences stakeholders and funders (e.g. Ministry of Education, Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport, City of Hamilton, Haldimand Norfolk County, 4 school boards, Community Living, R.E.A.C.H, hospitals, Children Aid Society, etc.),
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Nurtures and forms meaningful internal and external working relationships and partnerships to advance the YWCA’s child care strategies;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act and YWCA Policies;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, displaying the ability to connect and build relationships with co-workers, families, and children;
- Ability to effectively problem solve and make decisions;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement quality improvement initiatives;
- Completion of 3 years College Diploma in early childhood education or equivalent;
- Minimum 5 to 7 years’ experience working in a licensed child care setting, with a minimum of 3 years’ management experience with demonstrated leadership skills;
- Must be able to lead and work from a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective for operations and strategic planning;
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Health Child Development (PHCD) training is an asset;
- Knowledge of Healthy Child Development training is an asset;
- Registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators (RECE); maintains registration as required by the YWCA and provincial standards;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to travel to all child care sites under YWCA management;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Manager, Children's Services
- May 12, 2020
- June 12, 2020
- August 31, 2020
- 37.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- Children’s Services
- Director, Child and Youth Services
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.