YWCA Hamilton is dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
We offer a stimulating and challenging environment that values the diversity of individuals and ideas.
- Opportunity for professional development and growth
- Staff Fitness and Aquatic membership
- Staff discounts for childcare and recreation
Provides support and services to women and gender non-binary individuals in life transition residing in housing at the YWCA Hamilton Transitional Living. Supports include crisis intervention, supportive counselling, referral advocacy, goal planning, programming and group facilitation to meet the needs of women in crisis.
- Assists in the operation of day to day shelter needs and working collaboratively with women to facilitate a plan to safe and effective independence;
- Conducts intake meetings and assessments of clients/residents to identify client needs, provides information and referrals in the areas of housing, health, employment, education, social assistance matters, and counselling;
- Keeps records on day to day happenings, enters client information/daily events into an electronic data information system for reports and statistics;
- Communicates, advocates and collaborates with community agencies (e.g. courts, legal services, housing) to provide resources and referrals to clients/residents;
- Works with clients/residents individually and/or in groups to improve social and living skills by providing regular programming (e.g. goal setting, safety plans, planning);
- Works within general rules, procedures and standards, referring issues or problems to supervisor;
- Provides crisis intervention and counselling support;
- Participates in case conference meetings and case management development;
- Provides light housekeeping (preparing room for occupancy and clean units as clients move out, laundry) and serves prepared food to residents;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive and personal client, employee and contract information;
- Provides front line desk support including safety and security for Transitional Living building during evening and weekend hours;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Perform other duties as required.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Works a standard 37.50-hour work week; rotating shifts (days, afternoons, evenings) – weekday and/or weekend;
- Regularly works in emotional charged situations requiring resolution;
- Work environment may be hostile or violent at times;
- Two staff members work at Transitional Living per shift.
- Equivalent to completion of 2 years college in social work or human services;
- 1 to 3 years’ experience working with telephone and in person crisis management;
- Experience working with women with multiple barriers and concurrent disorders (mental health, addiction, violence);
- Experience working with newcomer women;
- Knowledge of harm reduction strategies and training in administering naloxone an asset;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work rotating shifts (days, afternoons, evenings) on weekdays and/or weekends;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Food Handlers certification an asset;
- Knowledge of social housing and in community resources.
- July 24, 2019
- 0-14 hours/week
Transitional Living Program
Supervisor, Transitional Housing
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.