Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
This employee will work in an assigned primary 24-hour group living residence for young women with a developmental disability; who may also have a mental health diagnosis, FASD, Autism Spectrum Disorder and may display challenging behaviours. They will provide delivery of direct support services to all residents within the home, and ensure the physical and emotional well-being and safety/security of all individuals within the residence in alignment with YWCA Hamilton’s Mission and Vision Statements.
- In cooperation with program supervisor, full time staff and other part time and relief staff, will perform all duties and responsibilities in a productive, professional and cooperative manner which will contribute to the overall goals of the department and in keeping with general policies and guidelines of YWCA Hamilton.
- Ensure the physical and emotional well-being of individuals we support is maintained.
- Meet QAM Compliance and MCSS Legislation 299/10 Standards.
- Provide physical assistance/support as needed by individual in all areas of activities of daily living including but not limited to: physical lifting/transfers of residents, pushing/pulling mobility equipment/devices, bathing/toileting and hygiene routines, medication administration, meal preparation/feeding, chores/housekeeping, finances, socialization, recreation, and programming.
- All necessary administrative/documentation tasks are performed: client file documentation, behaviour support plans, daily logs, behavioural data collection and programming, checklists, chore lists, or other reports/tasks as assigned.
- Support services offered will maintain or increase individual’s independent living skills and personal growth.
- Developmental Service Worker Diploma (DSW), Social Service Worker Diploma (SSW), currently enrolled in SSW program, Community Service Worker Diploma (CSW), Personal Support Worker Diploma (PSW)
- Minimum 1-2 Years work experience in a residential group living setting
- Emergency First Aid/CPR Certification, NVCI Training, FASD, ASD, MHFA
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with MS Office Applications including but not limited to: Word and Outlook
- Working from a feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist perspective
- French Language Skills an Asset
- Must be able to work designated schedule as assigned
- Excellent communication skills both verbal & written
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check or willingness to obtain at own cost
- Attend and participate in all YWCA Hamilton mandatory training
- Must be willing to provide a pre- employment medical examination and annually thereafter
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Residential Support Worker
- May 15, 2020
- May 31, 2020
- June 7, 2020
- 28.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- Developmental Services
- Program Supervisor
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.