A member of the youth-led RISE Collective at YWCA Hamilton will make a change in their community. RISE Collective members are between the ages of 15 and 30 years and focus their efforts on amplifying the voices of young women, non-binary, and gender fluid youth across Hamilton and Halton in Ontario, Canada. RISE Collective members create, plan, and implement an annual series of events, workshops, art and movement for members of their communities and other youth. The purpose of the program is to create holistic and intentional programming for all youth that empowers and engages community builders.
POSITION TITLE: RISE Collective Committee
TYPE: Virtual, opportunities may exist for in-person
DEPARTMENT: Child & Youth Services
TERM OF POSITION: Six (6) month commitment, to start
TIME COMMITMENT: Monthly; 2 hours
AREAS OF INTEREST: Community, Youth, Wellness
ACCESSIBILITY: Fully accessible workplace
IDEAL FOR: Youth, Students, Young Professionals
HEALTH/VACCINATIONS: COVID-19 Vaccination is required; either fully, or partially vaccinated with 30-day commitment to receive second dose. Volunteers will be required to show proof of vaccination status. Substantiated medical and religious reasons to forego vaccination will need to be communicated and may impact volunteer position start date.
GENDER/AGE: This opportunity is open to cis and trans women, non-binary people between the ages of 15-30 before December 31, 2021 who are comfortable in spaces that center women.
The successful volunteer will be committed to working from an anti-oppression, feminist perspective. We encourage individuals from racialized and/or newcomer, gender diverse, non-binary and/or gender fluid, Two Spirit, LGBTQIA+, First Nation, Métis and Inuit, immigrant, refugee, BIPOC, and people living with disabilities to apply.
Should you require accommodation during the recruitment process please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please visit www.ywcahamilton.org for more information
- Meeting regularly with the RISE Collective committee to plan and implement virtual events for youth across Hamilton and Halton
- Focusing all events, workshops, art, and movement on the four themes of the RISE Collective: Reflect-Rest-Recharge, Influence-Integrate-Imagine, Sustain-Support-Strategize, Engage-Empower-Educate
- Continuously recruit new members to RISE by developing relationships with local educational institutions, professional associations and businesses that target youth
- Create and manage communications through newsletters and social media updates
- Build on and expand the youth focused ‘Check-in-and-Care Circle’, listen, help problem-solve, provide peer and emotional support, and connect with other resources in the community; opportunities to collaborate with other YWCA Hamilton programs like SPEQTRUM and JOIN, a possibility
- Between the ages of 15 and 30 years before December 31, 2021
- Experience with Google Drive, Microsoft office, Mail Chimp, Canva
- Works well as a team player/group member
- High initiative/ambition with a good attitude and joy for life
- Experience with marginalized community
- Project management experience, an asset
- Planning committee experience, an asset
- A long term commitment of six (6) months is required for this role, with option to renew after this period. Committee work is scheduled based on availability of all members in between 1:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- 1-2 meetings per month, schedule based on collective availability
- Last-minute requests and in-person events are a possibility based on your availability
- Training required: Self-directed online learning – YWCA Hamilton Orientation & Pandemic Training – 2 hours, Virtual role-specific training over Zoom – 1 hour