The Opportunities Program (TOP)
Employment Support for Persons with Disabilities
YWCA Hamilton is now welcoming Participants and Employers to The Opportunities Program (T.O.P). This program assists persons with self-disclosed disabilities to prepare for, obtain, and maintain employment. It focuses on the needs of each person and seeks to develop skills to improve their employability through one-on-one and group coaching at YWCA Hamilton and work placement through workplace experience.
T.O.P. provides up to 6 weeks of one-on-one and group support for individuals who self-identify with a disability that restricts their ability to find and maintain employment.
A 14 week supported paid work experience placement is available for participants who are seeking full-time, long-term employment.
To be eligible for the program, you must be:
- A person with a self-disclosed disability
- Not eligible for EI benefits or related services / programs
- Legally entitled to work in Ontario; A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Anyone over the age of 16 is welcome to apply
Become a T.O.P. Employer:
- Receive compensation for providing employment opportunities to people with disabilities.
- Develop inclusive recruitment strategies to reduce turnover and build employee satisfaction.
- Build a corporate culture; by building a business that is accessible and inclusive.
- Work Assessments tailored to business needs.
T.O.P. Employees are trained in job-specific skills that can be tailored to employer requirements.
- Soft skills include: Communication, Time Management, and Self-Esteem
- Job-specific requirements include: Health & Safety, W.H.M.I.S., A.O.D.A., First Aid/CPR and Financial Literacy
- Smart Serve and Safe Food Handling
PROGRAM UPDATE DURING COVID-19:
Staff are connecting with clients and employers via telephone, Zoom, email and Facebook.
T.O.P. Success Story - Veronica White
Veronica White is one of TOP clients that completed the employment training and successfully obtained employment through The Opportunities Program with YWCA Hamilton. She is now in a Full-time permanent position as a “Hive Inside Sales Representative” for Yordas Group.
YWCA Hamilton’s T.O.P. Program provided the solid job attainment and job enduring skills that I was lacking and even offered me help on the job hunt. They offered interview practice questions and resume assistance. The whole program was great, and super accessible because it has been moved online due to the pandemic.