Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides leadership in the kitchen for internal and external YWCA food services for childcare, transitional housing residents, the YWCA café and social enterprise catering; acting for the Head Chef as required. Develops and implements high quality food services and hospitality.
- Plans and directs food preparation and cooking activities in the YWCA Café and catering;
- Provides front of house support to the YWCA Café;
- Estimates food requirements, orders products, monitors and improves inventory control process;
- Prepares and cooks for the Café and catering services, filling in production gaps where required;
- Instructs staff in preparation, garnishing and presentation of food and new cooking techniques; demonstrates new equipment;
- Plans menus and ensures quality of food and portion control;
- Assists the Head Chef with the development and implementation of the Social Enterprise business plan and budgets;
- Tracks and analyzes all revenue-generating activities and data;
- Ensures proper safety and sanitation in kitchen;
- Ensures proper equipment operations and maintenance;
- Supervises and trains staff as required;
- Schedules part time staff according to business needs;
- Ensure compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act;
- Understands emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health, safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Culinary Arts diploma is an asset;
- Minimum 3 years’ hospitality experience, with a minimum of 1 year of supervisory experience
- Front of house experience is an asset,
- Catering experience is an asset;
- Must have Safe Food Handling certificate; understanding of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP);
- Must have menu planning, costing and budget experience;
- Must provide a current Criminal Record Judicial Matters Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Valid Class G Driver’s License
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to work with a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work various shifts including days, afternoons, evenings and weekends;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
- July 17, 2020
- July 31, 2020
- August, 2020
- 37.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- At The Table Cafe
- Head Chef
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.