Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Assists with the general care of young children in a Licensed Child Care Centre, working collaboratively with child care staff and the Supervisor, Children’s Programs. Implements quality programs for children 18 months to 5 years based on the emergent curriculum, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Supports a stimulating and nurturing environment for children to learn and grow, ensuring the safety of children enrolled in the program through direct supervision, and attendance protocols;
- Works collaboratively with staff team to support innovative weekly programs that are age appropriate and meet individual and group needs, according to YWCA philosophy;
- Participates in all activities with the children;
- Supports staff and classrooms as needed (e.g. staff breaks, programming time, etc.);
- Delivers meals to classrooms, washes dishes, and laundry as required;
- Ensures classroom environment is kept clean and neat, including all activity and program areas, and common spaces, including toy washing and sanitizing;
- May be required to diaper children;
- Ensures that written records are accurately documented and maintained including attendance records, symptoms of ill health, daily classroom logs, etc.;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act and YWCA Policies;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Participate in mandatory organizational and departmental trainings and meetings;
- Must be able to supervise large groups of children during onsite and offsite excursions such as field trips and swimming.
- High School diploma – 18 years or older;
- Minimum 1 to 2 years experience in a licensed child care setting is an asset;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective to work;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Health Child Development (PHCD) training is an asset;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset;
- Must have Food Handlers Certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Summer Child Care Support Staff (Dunnville)
- February 27, 2020
- March 15, 2020
- June 29, 2020 – August 28, 2020 (Contract)
- 30 – 37.5 hrs/wk
- Dunnville, ON
- Children’s Services
- Program Supervisor
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.