Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Leads and supervises staff and provides high quality, relevant, successful and sustainable children’s programs in Hamilton. Provides services related to full day child care, and before and after school programs, in keeping with the YWCA mission, vision and values while adhering to the YWCA policies and procedures and quality standards, as well as the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
- Responsible for the operation, supervision and administration of the YWCA Hamilton’s children’s programs, ensuring all YWCA policies and procedures and Child Care Early Years Act requirements are met;
- Develops and delivers quality programs that support and promote learning, and the healthy development of children by guiding the programs to align with YWCA Hamilton goals and objectives;
- Develops and evaluates strategies to increase diversity and inclusion and involve children and girls of newcomer families into YWCA programs;
- Updates, develops and ensures positive, professional communication with parents/families, community partners, outside agencies, co-workers and support staff, on an ongoing basis;
- Resolves conflicts or highly sensitive situations on a regular and recurring basis;
- Identifies program needs and makes requests for appropriate equipment;
- Assists Manager with development and implementation of annual budget;
- Directly manages and coach’s employees; including scheduling, training, monitoring and evaluating performance;
- Supports the Manager with scheduling duties and payroll administration;
- Fosters a safe and healthy work environment; ensures employees comply with health, safety standards that meet or exceed legislated requirements;
- Offers tours and program information to potential clients and promotes programs externally;
- Represents the YWCA within the community, as required;
- Stays current on legislation, regulations and directives;
- Complies with the Child Care Early Years Act and YWCA Policies;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Participate and provide mandatory organizational and departmental trainings and meetings;
- Provides ongoing monitoring to assess program quality within the department;
- Participates in the hiring and recruitment processes;
- Responsible for managing and submitting financial reports including payroll, expense and petty cash reports.
- Completion of 2 years’ college in Early Childhood Education or equivalent;
- Registered through the College of Early Childhood Educators (RECE); maintains certification as required by the YWCA and provincial standards;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a licensed child care setting, with a minimum of 1 year as a Supervisor;
- Knowledge of Healthy Child Development training is an asset;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Must provide a TB test, proof of Tetanus (within 10 years) and proof of MMR immunizations;
- Must have current Standard First Aid and CPR certificate or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Ability to bring a feminist, anti-racist / anti-oppressive perspective to day to day work and strategic planning.
- Excellent communication skills;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages an asset.
- Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Vehicle is an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Supervisor, Before and After School Programs
- February 03, 2020
- March 06, 2020
- April 27, 2020 – December 04, 2020 (Contract)
- 37.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- Children’s Services
- Manager, Children’s Services
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.