Who We Are
Founded in 1889, YWCA Hamilton is known as one of Hamilton’s original social innovators and works from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppressive framework. We are dedicated to strengthening women’s and girl’s voices, broadening their choices, building dynamic leadership and providing essential services that promote safe, inclusive and equitable communities.
Provides a comprehensive and holistic program designed for immigrant and newcomer women and their families, that address specific needs and offers information and supportive counselling for their successful integration into the local community. Provides access to trauma informed gender based violence intervention for women and other family members. Facilitation of group workshops year round that address a broad range of topics of which YWCA has specialized knowledge including emotional wellbeing, housing, gender based violence, and healthy relationships.
- Conducts intake meetings and assessments of clients/residents to identify client trauma needs;
- Applies the knowledge of the issues of trauma and the dynamics of woman abuse to develop and implement effective support strategies;
- Supports the training of placement students and provides feedback to Program Supervisor for evaluation of placement students
- Works within general rules, procedures and standards, referring issues or problems to direct supervisor;
- Maintains professional recordkeeping standards in a system for reports and statistics on client interactions;
- Communicates, advocates and collaborates with community agencies (e.g. courts, legal services, housing) to provide resources and services to clients/residents;
- Offers clients crisis intervention, supportive counselling, referrals and advocacy;
- Provides programming and facilitates group workshops (e.g. safety plans, healthy relationships, impact of trauma on children);
- Provides crisis intervention and counselling support for women and their children;
- Maintains high level of confidentiality when working with sensitive and personal client, employee and contract information;
- Maintains accurate records/statistics and evaluation information related to the activities undertaken/outcomes achieved;
- Implements appropriate program guidelines and procedures/templates for program to ensure consistency and excellence;
- Provides program reports to Manager as required;
- Attends industry related networking events and representing the YWCA on community committees;
- Understands and incorporates emerging trends, leading practices, industry professional standards;
- Supports YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Completion of 2 years’ college in social work or human services, or equivalent;
- 3 years’ experience working in violence against women services and supportive counselling;
- Strong knowledge and experience in group or workshop facilitation;
- Experience working with newcomer & immigrant women;
- Working knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act and Immigration and Family Law is an asset;
- Experience in trauma based counselling and education;
- Must be able to work from a feminist, anti-racist/anti-oppressive perspective;
- Ability to work a schedule which includes days, afternoons, weekday and/or occasional weekends;
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police check or willingness to obtain at own cost;
- Knowledge of community resources in the violence against women sector;
- Bilingual English/French or other languages is an asset.
YWork For Us?
At YWCA Hamilton, we are intentional about fostering a workplace culture that values positive physical and emotional well-being through our values of Inclusivity, Equity, Community, Self-determination, and Accountability. We invest in our employees so that we can bring our values into the communities in which we live. We offer our employees:
- On-the-job training and professional development opportunities
- Staff fitness, aquatic, childcare and recreation discounts
- Opportunities to get involved in our community
- A competitive total rewards package
If you’re passionate about making a positive impact in the lives of women, children, and families every day, we would love for you to join our team!
Violence Against Women Counsellor
- May 19, 2020
- May 25, 2020
- Immediately (Contract ends March 31, 2023)
- 37.5 hrs/wk
- Hamilton, ON
- Transitional Housing
- Manager, Transitional Housing
Thank you for your interest in YWCA Hamilton:
As part of YWCA Hamilton’s commitment to Access and Equity, we strive to represent the diverse communities that we serve. Individuals who are First Nations, Métis, immigrant, refugee, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender; and individuals with disAbilities and from racialized communities are encouraged to apply.
Accommodations are available throughout the recruitment process. Please inform us of any accommodation requests.
Please Note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information collected during the recruitment process will only be used for employment opportunities only in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. Only applications from individuals eligible to work in Canada will be considered.