Volunteer With Us
Volunteer With Us
Volunteering is a fun and rewarding way to give back to the community and meet new people. By volunteering with YWCA Hamilton, you make an impact on the lives of the women and girls that we serve.
Volunteers are an integral and valuable part of the organization and are treated with respect and dignity. Our volunteers are ambassadors in the community and embody our vision, mission and values. It is important that all volunteers identify with and strive to achieve the vision, mission and value statements that are listed below.
Women and girls have the rights, resources and opportunities to shape their own lives and define their communities.
YWCA Hamilton strengthens women’s and girls’ voices, broadens their choices, builds dynamic leadership and provides essential and meaningful services that promote safe, inclusive, and equitable communities.
We root our work in the strengths and achievements of feminism and recognize that an investment in girls and women builds a stronger future for everyone.
We respect and support women’s and girls’ choices to build better futures for themselves and their families.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion to address the ever-changing needs of our communities.
We work in community and partnership with local, national and international movements and organizations to achieve equity and justice for women and girls.
We are responsible and accountable to the people and communities we serve.
Check out the following available volunteer opportunities.
Interested in applying? Click the posting to learn more!
Community Outreach Volunteer (Walk a mile focus)
30 June 2021
The Community Outreach Volunteer, while providing assistance to the Philanthropy & Communications team, will promote marketing and outreach efforts at designated in-person events throughout the summer in support of YWCA Hamilton’s Walk a Mile in Her Shoes (WAM) event.
30 June 2021
Become this year’s YWCA Hamilton WALK STAR. A Walk Star will promote Walk a Mile In Her Shoes, a walk to end violence against women during the month of August 2021 using your own personalized tiptap device.
Before you apply to volunteer, please read the list of volunteers positions in order to ensure there is an area that matches your skills and interest.
YWCA Volunteers will have the following qualifications:
- Support YWCA Hamilton mission, vision and values
- Working from a feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist perspective
- Must provide a current Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Willingness to accept supervision and take direction
- Respectful of confidentiality and privacy
- Reliable, mature, non-judgmental, kind, caring and able to listen
All completed application forms are considered by the Volunteer Coordinator.
An in-person interview will be scheduled in order to determine if our organization is a good fit with you, and vice versa.
After the interview, we will check two references, request that you apply for a police clearance, and schedule a group training session.
After all screening is complete, you can begin volunteering in your chosen program area.
The Volunteer Policy and recruitment procedures are in place to support, nurture and further the rich history of volunteerism at YWCA Hamilton.
Volunteers have been involved in almost every area of activity since YWCA Hamilton was founded. YWCA Hamilton continues to attract people with a range of backgrounds and skills, with a shared commitment to seeking equity for women, girls and their families. Volunteers work within an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework and culture of philanthropy towards achieving YWCA Hamilton’s mission, vision and strategic objectives.
The purpose of our Volunteer Program is to:
- Recruit and maintain a committed team of diverse volunteers who are reflective of the broader community to support YWCA Hamilton staff to improve and extend service delivery.
- Provide volunteers with the level of responsibilities and involvement that meet their expectations and provide fulfilling volunteering opportunities while maintaining a high level of service to our clients and members.
The contribution of volunteers remains vital to YWCA Hamilton’s operations. The organization recognizes and values the reciprocal nature of the relationship between YWCA Hamilton and individual volunteers and is committed to providing a volunteer program which both:
- Supports YWCA Hamilton’s work, and
- Meet the expectations of individual volunteers
YWCA Hamilton’s Volunteer Program brings substantial benefit to:
- Clients and members by providing them with a high level of service in a safe environment that ensures successful program outcomes and confidentiality.
- Volunteers by providing them an avenue to: join a vibrant, creative organization with a great passion for its role in the struggle in achieving equity for women, girls and their families; and contribute their vast wealth of skills, experiences and knowledge to support women, girls and their families.
- Staff by facilitating additional human resources to ensure we maintain a high level of service to YWCA Hamilton’s clients, members, stakeholders and the wider community.
- Organization by bringing specialist advice and skills into the organization and through the provision of additional human resources in a wide variety of activities.
- Community by providing an avenue for community participation in specific campaigns or the organization as a whole.
YWCA Hamilton’s Volunteer Program is being implemented to:
- Complement staff expanding their reach and their efforts exponentially.
- Increase ambassadors in the community.
- Establish and sustain meaningful partnerships.
- Participate in the organization’s concerted effort to effectively leverage the investment made in YWCA Hamilton’s services.
YWCA Hamilton values the contribution made by volunteers by acknowledging that volunteers:
- Have a relationship with YWCA Hamilton that is reciprocal.
- Exercise free choice in committing to YWCA Hamilton.
- Are of equal status and deserve the same treatment and respect as paid employees, and that
- YWCA Hamilton can expect the same standards of its volunteers as it expects of its paid employees.
- Are not used to replace paid staff positions and only carry out work that they have agreed to.
- Have written acknowledgment of their contribution in YWCA Hamilton’s documentation and recorded hours worked.
- Receive a comprehensive training, for example:
– Anti-racism and anti-oppression baseline orientation.
– Accessibility for Ontarians living with disabilities (AODA) customer service standards.
– Access to webinars, workshops and trainings offered by YWCA Hamilton in collaboration with partner agencies.
– Are given clear policy guidelines and procedural information, recognition and support, including the provision of references if required.
– Are reasonably accommodated in their work-related needs, as outlined in YWCA Hamilton`s Employment Equity Policy.
– Have an opportunity for the development of skills and experiences.
– Expand their relationship with YWCA Hamilton by becoming a member of the organization and potentially a member of the Board of Directors or one of its committees.
YWCA Hamilton’s volunteer policy is driven by our purpose stated above.
It is YWCA Hamilton’s policy that all volunteers are recruited, selected, developed, evaluated and promoted in a fair and equitable manner. Criteria for recruitment, selection and development of volunteers are reviewed regularly.
YWCA Hamilton is not opposed to recruiting volunteers of immediate family members of employees in full-time, part-time or volunteer positions, provided they suitably match existing position descriptions. It is not, however, recommended that family members work where the employee would have managerial authority or where there may be deemed to be in a conflict of interest.
- YWCA Hamilton Anti-Racism Anti-Oppression Policy
- YWCA Hamilton Employment Equity Policy
- YWCA Hamilton Code of Ethics
- YWCA Hamilton Conflict of Interest Policy
Please click here to access to the YWCA Hamilton’s Volunteer Policy
Volunteer of the Year Award
Each year and in celebration of National Volunteer Week, YWCA Hamilton recognizes the contributions of the dedicated volunteers who power our mission. YWCA Hamilton’s Volunteer of the Year Award is awarded to a stand out volunteer that has been nominated by the program area which their impact is felt. All YWCA departments have an opportunity to nominate!
2020 Volunteer of the Year Winner
YWCA Hamilton is pleased to announce the winner of the 2021 Volunteer of the Year award, Peter Van Dyk!